As students gear up for the new school year, Eden Prairie Schools has shared important information for families.
School start dates
The official first day of the 2023-24 school year is Tuesday, Sept. 5. However, students may have different start dates based on their grade.
Families should keep tabs on their emails for additional messaging about staggered start dates for Central Middle School (CMS) and Eden Prairie High School (EPHS) students.
School day and office hours of each school are posted on each school’s website’s Contact Us page, as well as on the district Contact Us page.
Start dates are:
- Little Eagles Preschool (ages 3-4): Tuesday, Sept. 5.
- All elementary schools (pre-K to grade 5): Tuesday, Sept. 5.
- CMS grade 5: Tuesday, Sept. 5.
- CMS grades 7 and 8: Wednesday, Sept. 6.
- EPHS grade 9: Tuesday, Sept. 5.
- EPHS grades 10 to 12: Wednesday, Sept. 6.
- EP Online students (all grades): Tuesday, Sept. 5.
- TASSEL students: Tuesday, Sept. 5.
The following back-to-school events take place before school starts.
EP Online Open House will occur on Aug. 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at CMS. Students can take school photos, pick up devices and materials, and walk through their schedules. New students will receive a T-shirt.
At Back to School Nights for in-person school, families and students can meet their teachers. Elementary (pre-K to grade 5) families are invited to drop off school supplies.
Pre-K to Grade 5 Back-to-School Nights:
- Little Eagles 3-Year-Old Preschool — Community Education Building: Aug. 30, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Cedar Ridge, Eden Lake, Forest Hills, Oak Point, Prairie View: Aug. 30, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Eagle Heights Spanish Immersion: Aug. 31, 4 to 6 p.m.
CMS Back to School Nights:
- Grade 6: Aug. 29, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Grades 7 and 8: Aug. 24, 4 to 6 p.m.
EPHS Back to School Nights (all grades):
- Aug. 24, noon to 5 p.m.
- Aug. 28, 3 to 7 p.m.
Open House events
Open House events take place after school has begun.
Elementary teachers will send home videos with information about their classrooms and learning platforms, and students can give their families a tour of their school building.
Elementary Open House events:
- Little Eagles 3-Year-Old Preschool at the Community Education Building: Sept. 21, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Cedar Ridge: Sept. 21, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Eagle Heights Spanish Immersion: Sept. 19, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Eden Lake: Sept. 21, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Forest Hills: Sept. 21, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Oak Point: Sept. 21, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Prairie View: Sept. 14, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
CMS Curriculum Night: Parents and guardians can walk through student bell schedules, meet teachers, and learn more about opportunities available to CMS students.
- Grade 6: Sept. 12, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
- Grades 7 and 8: Sept. 14, 5:30 to 8 p.m.
Teacher and schedule information
Little Eagles Preschool families will be notified of teacher assignments by Friday, Aug. 25. Elementary school families (pre-K to grade 5) will be able to see their student’s teacher assignment in the Parent Portal after 4 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 28.
Schedules at CMS, EPHS, and EP Online grades 6 to 12 will become available throughout August. Each school will send more information to families.
Starting with the 2022-23 school year, the district’s bus service is free to school families living in Eden Prairie, even if students live within walking distance of their assigned school.
For students who use the district’s bus service, the transportation department will share preliminary route information via email in mid-August and follow up with finalized information the week before school starts. Route information will include pick-up and drop-off locations and times.
To make any changes to the preliminary information, families should complete the Route & Stop Changes form on the transportation website, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (952) 975-7500.
School supply lists are on each school’s website under Student Life.
Many EP Schools Parent Teacher Organizations (PTOs) partner with companies like School Tool Box to have school supplies shipped directly to student homes. PTOs will communicate directly with families who may wish to purchase this service instead of buying supplies at the store themselves.
If cost is a barrier to getting school supplies, school social workers can help. Families experiencing financial need can also pick up free supplies during Back to School Nights.
Free first breakfast and lunch for all students
In May, Minnesota approved free, reimbursable school meals for all students learning in person, beginning in the 2023-24 school year. This means the first breakfast and lunch provided to a student each day are free, as long as they include at least three items, and one item must be a half-cup of fruit or vegetables.
EP Schools will provide one free milk for every child, even if they bring meals from home. Additional meals, a la carte items and Mega Bites will still have a charge.
Stay current on the latest changes and view school menus on the Child Nutrition webpage.
Student handbooks include important information about expectations at school and are updated each summer.
Updated 2023-24 handbooks will be posted online in mid-August. Families are encouraged to review them with students. The following schools and programs will have updated handbooks available:
- Little Eagles Preschool Family Handbook.
- All elementary schools, except EP Online.
- EP Online (grades K to 5 and 6 to 12).
For questions, families can contact their student’s school or the district’s Welcome Center at 952-975-7000.
We offer several ways for our readers to provide feedback. Your comments are welcome on our social media posts (Facebook, X, Instagram, Threads, and LinkedIn). We also encourage Letters to the Editor; submission guidelines can be found on our Contact Us page. If you believe this story has an error or you would like to get in touch with the author, please connect with us.