The Eden Prairie High School girls swim and dive team completed its 2022 season with the Minnesota State High School League Section 2AA Championships, hosted Nov. 9-11 at Edina High School.
Head coach Christine Retzlaff said, “The girls swam well and came ready to race. We are in the toughest section in the state, with most of the top three finishers at our section’s finals predicted to be on the podium at state.”
Although none of the Eagles advanced to state this year, Retzlaff said, “We had 26 swims that were season bests, and 16 that were lifetime bests.”
“I’m incredibly proud of how hard the team worked this season, and in their performances throughout the season,” she said.
Three Eagles swimmers made it through preliminaries on Wednesday, Nov. 9, to compete in finals on Friday, Nov. 11.
- Junior Ella Drewes finished 10th in the 100 freestyle finals with a time of 54.1 seconds and seventh in the 100 breaststroke finals with 1:07.87.
- Sophomore Alice Stoppel was 14th in the 100 breaststroke finals with a time of 1:14.44 seconds.
- Freshman Lilia Roberts was eighth in the 500 free with a finals time of 5:19.23 seconds and sixth in the 100 back finals with 1:00.12.
Retzlaff noted some particularly significant time drops.
- Elizabeth Barton dropped two seconds in the 50 free over the season, breaking 26 seconds for the first time in her final swim.
- Alissa Leitloff dropped two seconds in both the 100 free and 200 free to go lifetime bests.
- Sydney Thompson dropped three seconds in her 200 free, and four seconds in her 100 fly, going lifetime bests in both.
- Alice Stoppel dropped 3.5 seconds to go a lifetime best in the 200 IM.
- Lilia Roberts dropped 8.5 seconds in the 500 free for a lifetime best.
Showing their strong team spirit, plenty of Eagles girls swimmers and divers not competing in the meet were on hand to cheer and support their teammates.
We offer several ways for our readers to provide feedback. Your comments are welcome on our social media posts (Facebook, X, Instagram, Threads, and LinkedIn). We also encourage Letters to the Editor; submission guidelines can be found on our Contact Us page. If you believe this story has an error or you would like to get in touch with the author, please connect with us.