Eden Prairie police issued a crime alert on Wednesday afternoon, notifying the public of its investigation into multiple stolen vehicles and thefts from vehicles that have occurred in the city over the past several days.
Five vehicles have been reported stolen in Eden Prairie since Sunday, Oct. 16, according to the crime alert. In all cases, the vehicles were parked in driveways or open garages and unlocked with keys located in or near the vehicles.
During this time frame, 18 thefts from vehicles were also reported in various locations throughout Eden Prairie. In the majority of these cases, the cars were unlocked.
Police say stolen vehicles and thefts from vehicles tend to be crimes of opportunity. They provided some tips on how residents can keep property and belongings safe.
- Do not leave your car unlocked, and close all windows, sunroofs and convertible tops.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view. If you have valuables you need to store in your car, place them in the trunk before reaching your destination. Thieves have been known to look for people placing valuables in trunks, who then walk away from their cars.
- Lock all entrances to your home, including garage service doors, and close overhead garage doors at night. Open and unlocked doors provide quick and easy access to cars and items in garages and homes.
- Lock all cars left in driveways or on the street overnight. Thieves can use garage door openers found in unlocked cars in driveways to access garages and homes.
- Do not leave valuables such as purses, wallets, keys and electronics in cars parked in driveways or garages overnight. Also, consider tucking them away inside your home rather than leaving them by the door.
Police ask residents to be alert and report any suspicious activity by calling 911 immediately.
We offer several ways for our readers to provide feedback. Your comments are welcome on our social media posts (Facebook, X, Instagram, Threads, and LinkedIn). We also encourage Letters to the Editor; submission guidelines can be found on our Contact Us page. If you believe this story has an error or you would like to get in touch with the author, please connect with us.