The Metro Green Line Extension project is accepting reservations for its popular, escorted walking tours of light rail construction sites. The tours resume in late July in each city along the route.
• Hopkins – Excelsior Boulevard LRT Bridge, Wednesday, July 20, 11 a.m. to noon.
• St. Louis Park – Louisiana Avenue Station Area, Wednesday, July 20, 1 to 2 p.m.
• Eden Prairie – Golden Triangle Area, July 23, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Minnetonka – Opus park bridges and walls, July 23, 1 to 3 p.m.
• Minneapolis – Kenilworth LRT Tunnel, Tuesday, July 26, 2 to 3 p.m.
Each tour is limited to 15 participants. The project staff recommends reserving a place early. Past tours fill up quickly. Sign-ups for the tour can only be made on-line here.
Special separate group tours can be arranged for specific construction sites with outreach coordinator Nkongo Cigolo Nkongo. Email – Cigolo@Metrotransit.org.
Road/lane closure updates and re-openings
• The entrance ramp from Valley View Road to eastbound Highway 212 has reopened.
• Saturday and Sunday construction work between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. is anticipated through July.
• The repaving of Flying Cloud Drive between I-494 and Charlson Road is expected to continue for another month. The work between Viking Drive and Town Center Place is adjacent to the light rail. Lane closures and detours will be posted by Hennepin County as needed. Details are available on the county’s website.
• West 70th Street is expected reopen in mid-summer when station and track work are completed. Access to businesses along West 70th Street remain open via Shady Oak Road.
Metro Green Line Extension (SWLRT) info sources
For details, weekly updates, maps and recommended detours visit the project’s construction update website here.
Send your questions and comments to:
– SWLRT Outreach Coordinator James Mockovciak James.Mockovciak@metrotransit.org
– 24-Hour Construction Hotline at 612-373-3933.
– Metro Green Line Extension website GreenLineExt.org
Note: Writer Jeff Strate serves on EPLN’s Board of Directors. From February 2015 through February 2017, Jeff served on the SWLRT Community Advisory Committee as an at-large member.
We offer several ways for our readers to provide feedback. Your comments are welcome on our social media posts (Facebook, X, Instagram, Threads, and LinkedIn). We also encourage Letters to the Editor; submission guidelines can be found on our Contact Us page. If you believe this story has an error or you would like to get in touch with the author, please connect with us.