The Eden Prairie School Board Sept. 13 unanimously approved a two-year contract with the Eden Prairie Education Association (EPEA), the union that represents most district teachers, that includes a 2.75% pay increase each year.
The contract is effective July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2023.
Other impacts of the contract include:
- no increases in the district contribution to employee health insurance.
- teachers married to another Eden Prairie Schools’ employee, and who elects family health insurance, will receive a district contribution towards family health insurance equal to two times the district contribution for single coverage.
- sets hourly rates for teacher training ($30), curriculum writing ($40), summer school and targeted services ($40), and teacher substitutes ($35 for K-8, $45 for 9-12).
- removes athletic coach stipends from the teacher contract, which are now listed in a separate guidebook.
Early retirement incentive offered
The contract also includes a one-year memorandum of understanding, for 2021-22 only, that provides for a $50,000 early retirement incentive for teachers who are 55 and have completed 15 years of service.
The $50,000 will be added to the teacher’s post-employment healthcare reimbursement account.
The incentive is funded through the district’s Other Post-Employment Benefits liability account, which are set aside for retirement benefits, and not general fund money.
Three two-year memoranda of understanding that are part of the new contract include:
- an agreement on the Early Childhood Special Education school year calendar, including a “stretch” calendar for summer student needs.
- a full-time union president release that allows the district to release a teacher to a 1.0 FTE union president position.
- a Q-Comp agreement that defines a goal structure, eligibility and award structure for the district’s alternative compensation plan.
The board also approved a two-year contract with the Eden Prairie Preschool Education Association (EPPEA), effective July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2022.
The EPPEA contract provides for a 2.5% salary increase each year, as well as 2% increases each year in the district’s contribution to single and family health insurance.
The district match for Tax Sheltered Annuities will be 0% for year one and 1% for year two.
We offer several ways for our readers to provide feedback. Your comments are welcome on our social media posts (Facebook, X, Instagram, Threads, and LinkedIn). We also encourage Letters to the Editor; submission guidelines can be found on our Contact Us page. If you believe this story has an error or you would like to get in touch with the author, please connect with us.